Fifth International Festival of Puppet Theaters in Turkistan
The Fifth International Festival of Puppet Theaters organized in cooperation of the Ministry of Culture and Sports of Kazakhstan, the Governorate of Southern Kazakhstan and TURKSOY took place on June 6th-9th, 2017 in Turkistan and Chymkent within the framework of events to celebrate Turkistan the Cultural Capital of the Turkic World 2017.
On June 6th, 2017 a press conference on the Fifth International Festival of Puppet Theaters of Orteke took place in Turkistan at the Khoja Akhmet Yassawi University. At the conference, the Representative of Azerbaijan to TURKSOY, Mr. Elchin Gafarlı delivered a speech in which he greeted participants of the festival on behalf of TURKSOY Secretary General Dusen Kasseinov and touched upon the importance of the fact that the festival takes place in Turkistan the Cultural Capital of the Turkic World 2017. Mr, Gafarlı further stressed the fact that TURKSOY attaches particular importance to theater and expressed his wishes as to the successful realization of the festival.
The press conference was followed by the official opening of the festival which took place in the presence of puppet theaters and jury members from Azerbaijan, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan along with officials of Turkistan and TURKSOY and young spectators.
The official opening ceremony was followed by the first performance of the festival featuring the Serke Kojamkulov Jeskazkan Kazak Musical Drama Theater from Kazakhstan.
Between June 7th-9th, 2017, the festival featured various performances as well as masterclasses in theaters of Shymkent.
The Closing Ceremony of the Fifth International Festival of Puppet Theaters took place in Shymkent on June 9th, 2017.
Jury members of the festival were Eshmuratova Kuralay (Kazakhstan), Mevlut Ozkan (Turkey), Vadim Smirnov (Russia), Sabila Abuyeva (Kazakhstan) and Mihail Konstantinov (Gagauzia, Moldova). The results of the evaluation by the jury were as follows:
- "Spectators' Sympathy Award" to the Serke Kojamkulov Jeskazkan Kazak Musical Drama Theater of Kazakhstan for its performance of the play “Kambak Shal”
- “Best Male Acting Performance Award” to Rahim Rahimov from the Abdulla Shaig State Puppet Theater of Azerbaijan for his performance in the play "Bell"
- “Best Female Acting Performance Award” to Uljasgas Taşıbekkızı from the Puppet Theater of Shymkent Southern Kazakhstan for her performance as "Mother" in the play “Alpamıs”
- “Award for the Preservation of National Values" to the Karagoz Theater Ensemble of Bursa for the play “Swing”
- “Best Original Stage Setting Award” to the Musa Jangaziyev State Puppet Theater of Kyrgyzstan for the play "Grateful Crane"
- “Best Art Director Award" to the Art Director of the Puppet Theater of Southern Kazakhstan Bekbolat Parmanov for the play “Alpamıs”’
- Special Award of the Governorate of Southern Kazakhstan to the Puppet Theater of Mangystau for its performance of the play “The Legend of Mangystau”
- “Best Theater Play Award” to the Alakay Puppet Theater of Aktobe, Kazkahstan for the theater play “Coat".
The festival ended with the handing over of awards and certificates of appreciation to the participants.